I’d like to make the transition from disposable, stay-in-landfills-for-500-years diapers to cloth diapers, but I don’t know which ones to buy. Here’s my reasoning for making the switch:
- I’m (finally) feeling guilty about how many plastic/paper products I use and how many nasty “disposable” diapers I’ve added to the landfills.
- I’d really like to save money in the long term.
- I feel like if I start now, now that I’m very used to diaper changing and will soon have my boy potty training (he’s 16 months), I’ll be used to it by the time I have another one.
So I’ve been browsing online and reading up on reviews and I’m still as confused as ever. If I’m not mistaken, there are a few leading types of reusable diapers. You’ve got the g diapers that are biodigradeable and flushable. You can seriously flush the inserts in the toilet.
As you can see, they are super cute. You simply add the inserts and then flush them each time you need to. The starter kit comes with a swishie thing to help you swish the inserts around the toilet so it dissolves.
Here are my concerns about the g Diaper:
- Will my toilet in my old house be able to handle flushing all those inserts?
- Is it really going to save me any money. If I go through 5 diaper inserts a day, I’ll be spending the same amount of money I am now . . . not including those $18 diaper covers
Then there’s the All-In-One diaper.
This one is the BumGenius and sounds great, but I’m confused about the insert. Is it removable? When they have a mess do you just take the insert and launder it? Or do you have to wash the entire diaper every time (since it’s all in one?)
And then there’s the Pocket Diaper. It seems like for sure, this one you have to wash every single time your kid soils it.
I want a diaper that you don’t have to wash the “outside” everytime. I want one that has some sort of removable insert that you wash everytime but the outside you can use for a couple days. Is that even possible?
It looks you can use pre-folds to line any of these diapers, but you can just buy diaper covers and use the pre-folds with them. Is that right?
It sounds like this may be what I want. You can launder the pre-folds easily, and they’re cheap. And then use the diaper covers until they are soiled and then wash them. Is this what I want?